As a state agency, the University of Florida is required to provide public records in accordance with Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes.
UF hosts an online Public Records Center to make it easy to request general UF records or police records. It also provides a section with answers to frequently asked questions and a way for users to monitor the progress of their requests online. The portal can be accessed at email@example.com.
WHEN MAKING A REQUEST: It is helpful to be as specific as possible by including date parameters, type of information sought, department name or unit and/or name of employee.
UF EMPLOYEE GUIDELINES: Requestors should be encouraged to take advantage of the Public Records Center at publicrecords.ufl.edu. Individuals making requests are not required to use this system and are expressly permitted by law to make requests in any manner they choose (verbal, written to any employee, anonymous, etc.) UF must provide non-exempt public records upon request from any member of the public in accordance with Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes. Public records requests must be given a priority status by law.
All requests not coming through the online Public Records Center should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Media Relations and Public Affairs will then coordinate collection of the documents with the appropriate department or individual, provide them to General Counsel ‘s Office for review and redaction and finally disseminate them to the requestor. Here are some basic guidelines:
- Public records requests may be made to any employee in writing, by telephone or in person.
- The person requesting the information does not have to identify himself/herself nor do they have to explain why they are requesting the information. However, contact information, preferably an email address, is necessary in order to notify the requestor when or if the records are available and if there will be a charge for them.
- Employees at no time should make a determination of what is or isn’t a public record in responding to requests. All documents require General Counsel’s review before release.
- Should there be a cost associated with producing the records, the requestor will be notified in advance.
- All records will be provided in an electronic format, if possible. Printed copies cost 15 cents a page.
NEED ASSISTANCE: To make a request directly, call Media Relations and Public Affairs at 352-846-3903 or send an email to email@example.com.